Wednesday, March 31, 2010

American Rider Magazine: RIP

Just moments ago I got an email from Reg Kittrelle, my editor at American Rider magazine, informing me the plug was pulled on the title today.

I wrote for every issue of AR, starting with the Winter 1994 issue, right up until the most recent one, the June 2010 issue. I'm sorry to see the title go; when you work for a magazine for that long, and invest so much of your energy into it, you can't help but feel sad when it goes away.

I went through this before, when Cycle Guide folded in 1987, but there were other magazines to work for at the time, which is how I ended up six months later at Motorcyclist.

In this economy, though, that's not an option. Freelance budgets are shrinking at the few print titles that remain, and even long-time staffers at those titles are looking over their shoulders, wondering where the ax is going to fall next.

Sentiment aside, my biggest concern right now is that writing for AR accounted for a large chunk of my annual income. Without that chunk, freelancing as my primary source of income is no longer a viable option. At 58, I'm back on the job market. Along with several million other people.

...You want fries with that?

3 comments:

D. Brent Miller said...

Jerry, I wish you well, and hope your search is short. I too am a journalist and photojournalist. It's a tough market out there. Here in Cincinnati, the media outlets have been laying people off, creating a surplus of writers vying for what little demand there is. Hang in there. Your track record will keep you going down the road. --Brent

Hopeless Optimist said...

And then there's the possibility of this change opening up some entirely new chapter of life, previously unseen, that has elements of writing combined with something equally rewarding

Back in the early '80s, during *that* recession, I absolutely could not find a job in graphic design, so I went freelance. People told me I would fail and starve. Yet my decision -- made out of fear and a sense that there was no way out -- catapulted me into motorcycle magazines, a wonderful new relationship, and a future I never would have tried for had the job market been better.

I wish you all the best, Jerry. I believe there is something wonderful waiting for you and your Editorial Assistant.

"It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure."
Joseph Campbell

Larry Parmenter said...

Shit! OK, can I substitute rings for the fries? :(

I've been up to my groin in alligators the last few days so just now read this. Call or email, I'm buying lunch, usual place.

LL