Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Product Spotlight: Lee Parks DeerSports PCi Gloves



I prefer heated grips over heated gloves because I don't have to string cords through my sleeves every time I go for a ride or stop and take my jacket off. Also, I can wear thinner gloves and still have warm hands. But when it gets colder, I have to switch to heavy gloves to keep the backs of my hands warm. Heavy gloves, however, usually have insulated palms that partially block the grips' heat. What I really need is a glove with more more insulation on the back than in the palms. The DeerSports PCi gloves from Lee Parks Design might be what I'm looking for.

They're built with a liner made of a phase-change material that is claimed to keep your hands warm in cool weather and cool in warm weather. (I'm unclear on how that works, but for now let's just say it does.) Another quality of the magic phase-change stuff is that it pulls the heat from the grip (warm) side of the glove and distributes it to the back (cold) side. And the back of the glove has Thinsulate Flex insulation. Now we're talking.

The DeerSports PCi gloves have a lot of other nice features, which you can read about here.

(Note: I have not tested this product, nor have I received any compensation from the manufacturer for including it in a Product Spotlight. I just thought it was interesting/innovative/clever enough to warrant bringing it to your attention. All specifications and claims for the product are the manufacturer’s.)


1 comment:

Larry Parmenter said...

Hey Jerry,

Those are the exact gloves I've used for several years. They're the most comfortable of all my gloves, nice & warm and the heat transfer phase-shift material works just as they say. I have only one complaint and that is they soak up water like a sponge and contrary to company claims they don't dry very fast. I've worn them to Alaska and I know of what I speak, it took several days to dry them out. The answer to that is obvious, wear rain gloves over them when it starts to pour but that's not always the easiest thing to do. If Lee could just figure out how to make them waterproof he'd have the best gloves in the world. My 2 cts.

LL