Friday, December 25, 2009

Tread Life Is Making A Pit Stop

It’s been a year and a few days since I tripped and fell face-first into the blogosphere. Before then, I wouldn’t have used the word blogosphere; now I have a summer house there.

I started this blog because the market in the print media for my kind of work is shrinking. I’ve already written about how the very medium through which you’re reading this is largely responsible for that, so I won’t try to reanimate the dead horse. Suffice it to say I have seen the future, and is it virtual.

Tread Life was originally conceived as a sort of online resumé for anyone who might want to hire me to do paying work. But over time TL has become something more, a place for me to unwind and write the kind of things I want to write, as opposed to the things that might earn a buck.

It’s been good practice; every good writer writes almost obsessively. It’s also been good for me to expand my horizons and poke my nose into topics that wouldn’t have interested me previously because there was no market for them.

At the same time it must be acknowledged that you, the reader, have played a vital part in the process. Based on the comments you leave, and the emails I get, TL is more than a venue in which I can muse, rant, wonder, posit, and bloviate without fear of some editor standing over my shoulder, suggesting this post is a bit too harsh, or that post might piss off some of the readers.

So thanks to all of you who read this stuff. Next year I plan to liven up the mix a bit, with product spotlights, interviews with industry people, and maybe a travel story or two. I’m also going to see if I can scrounge together the equipment to make videos and post them on YouTube.

For now, however, Tread Life is going on a break, mainly because I don't figure many of you plan to spend the holiday season on the computer. Also, I feel another novel coming on, and I want to fool around with the outline some more before I get started on it.

So have a happy whatever it is you do this time of year. I’ll be back in 2010, and I hope you will, too.



1 comment:

Larry Parmenter said...

Bloviate: To speak loudly, verbosely, and at great length, without saying much...

Nicely put Jerry, I like that word. It's precisely how I would describe my own ramblings were I tempted to do so.

See you in 2010.